Vanilla Gelato Base
Here is a large batch recipe which gives you the flexibility to freeze Vanilla Gelato when you like. Just keep it in the refrigerator and pour what you desire in your machine and freeze.
Vanilla Gelato Base Recipe
Makes about 144 oz
1¾ gal Whole milk
52 oz Granulated sugar
5 1/2 oz Corn syrup
52 fl oz Heavy whipping cream
1 lb large egg yolks
11 oz Nonfat dry milk
1 fl oz Pure, madagascar bourbon vanilla
- In a medium saucepan, mix milk, dry milk and cream. Warm until foam forms around the edges. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, glucose and sugar until frothy. Gradually pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture gels slightly and coats the back of the spoon. If small egg lumps begin to show, remove from heat immediately.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve or fine strainer into a bowl. Cover, and chill for several hours or overnight.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a sealed container, and freeze until firm.
- When serving; if the gelato is too firm, place it in the refrigerator until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Great with raspberry coulis!