Vanilla Gelato Base Recipe
Makes about 144 oz
1¾ gal Whole milk
52 oz Granulated sugar
5 1/2 oz Corn syrup
52 fl oz Heavy whipping cream
1 lb large egg yolks
11 oz Nonfat dry milk
1 fl oz Pure, madagascar bourbon vanilla
- In a medium saucepan, mix milk, dry milk and cream. Warm until foam forms around the edges. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, glucose and sugar until frothy. Gradually pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture gels slightly and coats the back of the spoon. If small egg lumps begin to show, remove from heat immediately.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve or fine strainer into a bowl. Cover, and chill for several hours or overnight.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a sealed container, and freeze until firm.
- When serving; if the gelato is too firm, place it in the refrigerator until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Great with raspberry coulis!